[mrtg] Re: MRTG Configuration Option

MrPaul mrpaular at gmail.com
Thu Jun 8 19:59:05 MEST 2006

On 6/8/06, john <isofroni at cc.uoi.gr> wrote:
> I use a perl script as target for my graphs
>
> I have set in the Target Option both gauge and absolute.
>
> Is that right?
Which one (not both) you use really depends on the data being returned.
Here is what's in the docs.

gaugeTreat the values gathered from target as 'current status' measurements
and not as ever incrementing counters. This would be useful to monitor
things like disk space, processor load, temperature, and the like ...

In the absence of 'gauge' or 'absolute' options, MRTG treats variables as a
counters and calculates the difference between the current and the previous
value and divides that by the elapsed time between the last two readings to
get the value to be plotted.
absoluteThis is for counter type data sources which reset their value when
they are read. This means that rateup does not have to build the difference
between the current and the last value read from the data source. The value
obtained is still divided by the elapsed time between the current and the
last reading, which makes it different from the 'gauge' option. Useful for
external data gatherers.
Paul