[mrtg] Re: monitor individual ip

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Fri Jun 16 05:34:38 MEST 2006

> MRTG works great for showing us the big picture, but we need
> to know information for individual machines. I haven't seen
> anything in the MRTG docs or faqs that would help me and I
> really don't know enough about cisco etc to make this happen.
> Any help, links, etc would be greatly appreciated.

If your switch has a management interface, just point cfgmaker at that and
monitor the ports on the switch.  That's what we do here.  You can monitor
switch ports just as easily as router ports, although they dont have IPs
associated with them.  Then, set the cisco port descriptions to match the
attached hostnames if you want it more obvious.

Steve