[mrtg] Re: Max Speed

Daniel J McDonald dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com
Tue Jun 27 13:55:13 MEST 2006

On Mon, 2006-06-26 at 15:46 -0700, mchandler at solutions.canon.com wrote:
> I noticed the max speed listed on each interface.
Correct.
>  I'm wondering if this is
> some kind of counter that shows the maximum speed the interface has ever
> gotten up to

No.
> or is what each interface is set to under the bandwidth
> command (bw).

cfgmaker will set it to that value.  If you build your config by hand
you can put other values there.

The purposes of MaxBytes are:
1.  To determine what the largest reasonable increment is, so that the
roll-over routine can detect a counter-wrap.
2.  To provide a baseline for other statistics (provide percentages).

The second use is less important to the internal functioning of the
poller than the first.

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE #2495, CNX, CISSP #78281
Austin Energy

gpg Key: http://austinnetworkdesign.com/pgp.key
Key fingerprint = B527 F53D 0C8C D38B DCC7  901D 2F19 A13A 22E8 A76A