[mrtg] Re: Usage spikes

Scott Haneda lists at newgeo.com
Sat Mar 18 09:55:42 MET 2006

> I am monitoring a web server's network usage through MRTG.  Every day at
> 3:00 AM it makes a backup to a Snap server on my network.  This takes
> about an hour and causes a 40Mb spike to appear in my chart.  This spike
> makes everything else that day extremely hard to read as most of the
> rest of the usage is below 1Mb.  Is there any way I can keep this from
> distorting my entire graph short of just not monitoring that machine
> during that time?

Check out he logscale option
logscale
The logscale option causes rateup to display the data with the Y axis scaled
logarithmically. Doing so allows the normal traffic to occupy the majority
of the vertical range, while still showing any spikes at their full height.
logscale displays all the available data and will always produce
well-behaved graphs. People often consider a logarithmically scaled graph
counterintuitive, however, and thus hard to interpret.