[mrtg] Re: mrtg newbye problem

Daniel J McDonald dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com
Tue Mar 28 15:30:50 MEST 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-28 at 14:26 +0100, Scott_Rochford at DELL.com wrote:
> > > I was able to configure kb/s for each server but how can put
> together
> > > both configuration so that I can have a global view of bandwith
> > > usage ???
> > if you are monitoring the servers or the switch that they attach to,
> > it's pretty simple:  use rrdtool as the backend, routers2.cgi as the
> > front end, and set up a stacked graph.
>
> I've not used MRTG with SNMP much, but... can't you just put a '+'
> between the two SNMP parameter identifiers to add them together?

You can, but rollover processing is not as accurate with two added
values as it is with one.  If you have two concurrent rollovers it will
cause a spike or dip.  Individual values added after rollover processing
are much more accurate.

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE # 2495, CNX, CISSP # 78281
Austin Energy
dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com

gpg Key: http://austinnetworkdesign.com/pgp.key
Key fingerprint = B527 F53D 0C8C D38B DCC7  901D 2F19 A13A 22E8 A76A