[mrtg] mrtg for home users: more precision than '5 minute average'?

Constantine A. Murenin mureninc at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 20:44:09 MEST 2006

Hello,

I'm now using mrtg on a home 3.0/0.5Mbps ADSL line (ZyXEL 660) that is
used for surfing the internet and for remote ssh access.

I've tried mrtg sometime ago and found that the highest precision one
could get with it was '5 minute average'. Now I've tried it again a
few weeks ago, and the latest version still seems to offer the same
precision.

However, I would like to be able to see if the line is used / not used
to the full extent, i.e. see if the 3.0/0.5 speeds are actually
utilised in an appropriate manner. Right now, from normal usage, the
maximum speed was '2950.5 kb/s (96.0%)' only once in about two weeks
usage, usually, the highest it gets is around 1/3 rd the line's
capacity downstream-wise.

Just think about it this way: 3.0Mb/sec * 60 sec/min * 5 min = 900Mb =
112,5MB in 5 minutes. You don't regularly download around 200MB all at
once, thus you never see the line used to full capacity in mrtg, and
this will reasonably upset you for not getting the service you pay
for. :)

Thus is it possible to have higher accuracy? Something like 'Hourly
Graph (1 minute average)' or even 30 seconds average? I've noticed
that there is some patch at
<URL:http://www.pleiades.com/patches/mrtgbb.html>, but I'd like to
have an integrated aka 'supported' solution. :) Is there any way this
patch could get into the official tree?

Cheers,
Constantine.