[mrtg] Re: mrtg for home users: more precision than '5 minuteaverage'?

PAUL WILLIAMSON pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Thu Mar 30 21:31:30 MEST 2006

>>> "Constantine A. Murenin" <mureninc at gmail.com> 03/30/06 2:25 PM >>>
> Thanks for suggestion, but that is all too complicated, plus I don't
> feel comfortable with installing some monster CGIs and putting them
on
> the web. Did you see the security warning on routers2 site? That's
not
> for me. :)
>
> I want a simple and elegant solution, which would use plain mrtg
with
> 'Interval: 1', the performance hit would be trivial anyways, so why
is
> this feature still not implemented?
>
> Constantine.

Because the rate of "normalization" would be greater, thus, ironically
enough,
reducing the accuracy.  If you insist on using a 1 minute poll, you can
use
RRDTool and your own polling solution.  That will work perfectly fine.

Just because you run routers2.cgi, doesn't mean you need a web browser

exposed to the internet.  Just shut off port 80 for all internet,
non-internal
based addresses and there is no security risk.

Paul