[mrtg] Re: mrtg for home users: more precision than '5minuteaverage'?

Constantine A. Murenin mureninc at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 10:56:42 MEST 2006

On 30/03/06, Cook, Garry <gwcook at arcadis-us.com> wrote:
> MRTG and Routers2.cgi are both Open Source apps. Mainly they are
> maintained by one person, but lots of people contribute.
> Exactly how do you define reliable? I've been using both for the same
> amount of time, and neither one of them has ever caused me any downtime
> or munged any data.

Short answer: CGIs aren't reliable. I'm not going to comment on this
further, 'cause it's offtopic.

> >> Have you even *tried* using RRDTool as the backend and MRTG with
> >> interval set to 1?  MRTG is not going to do 1 minute intervals, any
> >> time soon, if ever.
> >
> > Can mrtg still plot my graphs and generate html in this fashion using
> > most of my existing configuration?
>
> I believe that you're thinking of MRTG as being more than it is. MRTG is
> a collector. It collects data.
> The data collected by MRTG can be stored in log files or RRD files. If
> you want one minute granularity, then you need to use RRDs.
> HTML is generated by the front-end to MRTG, be it the 14all.cgi included
> with MRTG or Routers2.cgi.

I don't know what you are talking about. I use mrtg for everything,
and my configuration shell script only calls cfgmaker, indexmaker and
then finally mrtg. After I run this simple 50-line script once on any
machine with package 'mrtg' installed, and it just works. But it does
not provide the required accuracy, i.e. the generated graphs do not
show the peak usage when someone downloads a ~20 mebibytes of data
through 3.0/512 ADSL line through ZyXEL 660.

Constantine.