[mrtg] Re: Need help with PNGTitle and 2 general questions.

Scott_Rochford at DELL.com Scott_Rochford at DELL.com
Tue May 2 10:33:26 MEST 2006

> General Questions:
> 1) I'm already monitoring my disk partitions and swap space, but i
would
> like to also monitor disk usage of some folders (e.g.: /var/log or
/home/ ,
> is that possible?)

Write a little script on the host to be monitored containing something
like
the following (cut along dotted lines):

------------------ 8< ----------------------
#!/bin/ksh

df -Pk $1 | awk '/^\// {print $2 "\n" $3}'
uptime
hostname

Then run the script from MRTG using the `backquotes` syntax.  If it's a
remote host you can do it via SSH with non-interactive authentication.

Note that it takes one parameter, the filesystem to be monitored.

> 2) If i use the option "Suppres[_]: ym" will i loose the suppressed
data??
> e.g. in 6 months, if i remove the suppres, will i get my data back??

I believe it just suppresses the charts, not the data.

Regards,

Scott.