[mrtg] check Ports on Switches

Richard Gliebe richard.gliebe at fhv.at
Thu May 18 07:20:59 MEST 2006

Hi all,

I'm running MRTG mrtg-2.12.2,1 on FreeBSD 5.4-STABLE #2.

With MRTG, I'm monitoring the all ports on several Cisco Switches.

Is it possible to get informations about the port states
(Online/Offline/Err-Disabled) on the Webinterface, like:
[...]
#show inter gi1/13
GigabitEthernet1/13 is up, line protocol is up (connected)
#show inter gi1/12
GigabitEthernet1/12 is down, line protocol is down (notconnect)
[...]

Err-Disabled meens:
Whe are running on most Switch ports:
switchport port-security mac-address sticky

A port goes into the Err-Disabled state, when the MAC adress is changed
(another PC/Laptop was plugged in the switch port).

Here is my cfgmaker script:
[...]
#!/bin/sh
/usr/local/bin/cfgmaker --global 'WorkDir: /usr/local/etc/mrtg/www' \
--global 'Options[_]: bits,growright' \
--output /usr/local/etc/mrtg/$1.cfg \
--show-op-down --ifdesc=descr --subdirs=HOSTNAME \
<community>@$1
[...]

thanks in advance

Richard
--
Richard Gliebe
University for Applied Science | Information Services