[mrtg] Re: Rateup errors - resend

Scott_Rochford at DELL.com Scott_Rochford at DELL.com
Thu May 18 09:06:36 MEST 2006

Hi Ed,

> I am still struggling to figure out what is causing the
> following:
> Sunday, 14 May 2006 at 7:10: ERROR: Skipping webupdates because
> rateup did not return anything sensible
> Sunday, 14 May 2006 at 7:10: WARNING: rateup died from Signal 11
>   with Exit Value 0 when doing router 'ns5gt.wrenkasky.com_2'
>   Signal was 11, Returncode was 0
> My searches on the errors have come up with a myriad of possible
> solutions relating to libraries that are installed however the
> error message usually indicates the conflict.  There is no such
> indication here nor can I find anything that relates to rateup
> and Signal 11.

For me in the past Signal 11's have been bad news, usually indicating
some kind of hardware or memory problem.  Are they only happening with
MRTG?  If so it's possible that it's a dodgy library like you
discovered... but if it's happening to other processes in your system it
may be the system itself at fault.

Try running a large glibc compile or similar just to exercise the
system, that is usually a reliable way to trigger a signal 11 if the
system is at fault.

Regards,

Scott