[mrtg] Re: Total number per 5 minute average

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Thu May 25 02:28:06 MEST 2006

> What I would like is to take the total number
> and plot the difference at 5 minute intervals, therefore
> showing at every 5 minutes how many faxes were sent.

Define the target as a normal counter.
Add the 'perminute' option (then you will see the number of faxes per
minute).  You can't do a similar for per 5mins, although you can do
'perhour'.  You probably dont want the 'integer' option since although you
can't send half a fax, because you poll every 5 mins you might have a rate
of 0.2 faxes/min.

You could add 'Factor[]: 5' but this will mess up any totalling
calculations.

If you use routers2 as your frontend, then both perminute and perhour are
honoured, and (if you enable 95th percentiles and totals in the
routers2.conf) you will get daily, weekly, monthly and yearly totals of
faxes sent.

The only other way to do it (as has already been said) is to make your
plugin return a GAUGE type number that is the number sent in the last 5
minutes (or since the last check).  In this case, you won't be able to
accurately use totalling, though, as this expects a proper count.

Hope this helps

Steve