[mrtg] Re: A target arithmetic issue

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Wed May 31 23:23:43 MEST 2006

> Target[oc3-total]: \POS3/0/0:community at router +
>                  \POS8/0/0:community at router +
>                  \POS8/0/0:community at router
> I get a strange looking graph:

If you are using RRDTool as your backend, and routers2 as the frontend, then
define 3 separate targets, hide them from the menu (with
routers.cgi*InMenu[]:no) and then define a total graph over them all (with
routers.cgi*Graph[]: summarygraph total).

Of course, this won't help if you're not using routers2/RRDTool.

The syntax above looks like it should work, but I suspect your total traffic
counts are too high (about 140+Mb/s?) and it's confusing the MRTG counters
which are working in 32-bit mode.  If you can't use 64-bit counters on these
routers, then you're left with the only option of writing your own data
gathering plugin script.

Steve