[mrtg] cfgmaker issue with snmp v3

Patrick Topping ptopping at pobox.com
Sun Nov 26 02:23:39 MET 2006

I have set up my routers with SNMP v3 and tested it out successfully:
snmpwalk -v 3 -a MD5 -A 'password' -l authPriv -u 'userid' -x DES -X
'password' 'hostname' system

The snmpwalk returns successfully so I have confirmed the user and the
group are set up properly.  What I am having issues with is cfgmaker and
the necessary options to pass along with it.   Below is what I have been
trying:

cfgmaker --snmp-options=::1:1::3  --global "HtmlDir: /var/www/mrtg"
--global "ImageDir: /var/www/mrtg"  --global "LogDir: /var/lib/mrtg"
--global "ThreshDir: /var/lib/mrtg"   --global "Forks: 4"  --global
--enablesnmpv3=yes  --global "WorkDir: /home/mrtg" --global "Options[_]:
growright,bits"    --output /home/mrtg/cfg/mrtg.cfg --username='userid'
--authkey='password' --authproto='md5' --privkey='password'
--privproto='des' 'hostname'

SNMP V3 requires a --username parameter as part of the User Security
Model for router public@'hostname'::1:1::3 at /usr/bin/cfgmaker line 121.

I have looked over the mailing list archives and from what I can tell I
am passing all the requirements.  Any help on getting this set p and
working would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

-Patrick