[mrtg] Re: snmp config for cisco1700

Meurer, Jason JMeurer at KHOV.COM
Fri Oct 6 15:40:02 MEST 2006

The quick hitter list below.  Be careful if any of these command are in
place as you do not want to blow up any existing access.

"String" would be your desired SNMP sting, no quotes.
RO is for read-only, RW would give you read-write
12 is the Access list number used to control what device can hit your
router with SNMP.  You can make this anything you want between 1 and 99.
Within the access-list command, replace 10.156.40.40 with your MRTG
server's IP.
The access-list deny log command is if you want to log any unauthorized
SNMP traffic.

snmp-server community "string" RO 12
access-list 12 permit 10.156.40.40
access-list 12 deny   any log

-----Original Message-----
From: mrtg-bounce at list.ee.ethz.ch [mailto:mrtg-bounce at list.ee.ethz.ch]
On Behalf Of jo warson
Sent: Friday, October 06, 2006 8:58 AM
To: mrtg at list.ee.ethz.ch
Subject: [mrtg] snmp config for cisco1700

Dear all,

For my company (partially hosting &development) i need to get a definite
grip on the network traffic. I've allready put mrtg on the windows
servers which was quite easy.
Can somebody give me a short howto on how to enable snmp on a cisco
1700? For networking i'm quite a noob so...We also use a 3com switch
which i'd like to monitor.

Thanks in advance,