[mrtg] Re: Monitoring SAN containing McData switches

Volk,Gregory B greg.volk at edwardjones.com
Mon Oct 9 19:42:29 MEST 2006

> Subject: [mrtg] Re: Monitoring SAN containing McData switches

In the past when I've tried to monitor McData (Spherion) switches with
MRTG, the results are usually bogus. I think it is because these FC
switches do not use standard mib-2 interface counters. Instead they make
their counters available via the fiber channel mib which cfgmaker is not
aware of. There's lots of good stuff in the FC mib, but I haven't ever
come up with an automated way to build mrtg configs for it. See
http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc4044.txt for more details.

The only exception I have heard of for polling FC traffic counters is in
regards to the Cisco MDS line of FC switches. I have a couple of these
and they do correctly publish the FC traffic in mib-2 counters.