[mrtg] Re: Monitoring SAN containing McData switches

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Oct 10 05:48:20 MEST 2006

> Each McData switch's MIB string is unique.  There is
> xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx in the  middle of the string that is different on each
> switch.

I suspect this is the IP address of the switch's management module?

> I run MRTG using RRD and use 14all.cgi to redraw on demand
> from the .rrd
> files.   That output is were I see the problem.   So the problem could
> be in the data in the .rrd file or how 14all.cgi is redrawing from it.

Use 'rrdtool dump' to examine the contents of the RRD, then you can work
out what actual data are stored, and so determine if the problem is with
the 14all frontend, or with the data not going into the RRD.  If the
latter, then it may be down to the MaxBytes or AbsMax settings you have
(check also the DS parameters in the RRD file configuration) which could
be ignoring values.

Finally check the MIB definitions for the OID you are graphing, it might
reset on read, or not be a counter, or so on.  This may be why Eric has
to use a different counter for his monitoring?

Every time I see 'McData switch' I keep thinking, 'would you like fries
with that data?'

Steve

--
Steve Shipway