[mrtg] Re: Monitoring SAN containing McData switches

Daihl, Richard L (Rick) rdaihl at lucent.com
Mon Oct 9 22:10:27 MEST 2006

I attached a summary page for a port having difficulties.  The daily
graph had values that were outside the window of possibilities for a 2
gig port.  Yet the weekly graph had nothing.  In fact the port has no
traffic on it and hasn't for awhile.

I've figured out how to build the config files.  I have to do it
manually.  Each McData switch's MIB string is unique.  There is
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx in the  middle of the string that is different on each
switch.  So the first thing I do is snmpdump the switch and get that
uniqueness.  I have a shell script that I plug that into that builds the
config file that MRTG expects.

The problem described above happens kind of randomly around the SAN.  I
haven't been able to put my finger on it yet.

I run MRTG using RRD and use 14all.cgi to redraw on demand from the .rrd
files.   That output is were I see the problem.   So the problem could
be in the data in the .rrd file or how 14all.cgi is redrawing from it.

Thanks in advance for any input/suggestions.