[mrtg] Re: Adding additional hosts / devices

Peter Glanville peter_glanville at cuk.canon.co.uk
Thu Oct 12 11:14:44 MEST 2006

I use Windows too.
I liked indexmaker, but found it better to upgrade to MRTG + RRD +
Routers2.cgi
Follow the install routines for each section, upgrading for one host will
entail minimal changes (RTFM)
You can use CFGmaker to create configs for each device (use a sensible
naming convention), or create them by hand
Use a Master.cfg that invokes each of the lower level CFGs (as described
below). Your PC invokes the Master.CFG
Routers2 front end then show a list of Devices (ie CFG files) and when you
drill into one, you get a list of Targets (ie interfaces or whatever
you're monitoring), and you can drill into each for the history.
In fact, you can arrange the CFG files in a meaningful directory/folder
structure (per building or location for instance, or grouped by hardware
type: routers, switches, servers etc). Then you first select the folder,
drill into the device list and then pick the Target/interface.

You can use "dummy" CFG files.
Have a CFG for collecting data, included in the Master.cfg, with the line
"routers.cgi*Ignore: yes" which means that it does not show up in the web pages.
Then create your own CFG files (not included in Master.cfg) that has a
selection of Targets from various Devices. This summary gets shown on the
web, but is not any single collection CFG file.

One option, for multiple CFGs, is to use "cron" to schedule multiple jobs.
There is a Windows (application, or service) version you can download, and
then schedule some CFGs to run at minutes 1, 6, 11 etc, and another at
minutes 2, 7, 12 etc, thereby reducing the cpu processing load by
spreading the jobs. (remember to set RunAsDaemon: No)

If you want to take this further, drop me line directly

Peter

"Lee Netana" <Lee.Netana at alc.org.au>
Sent by: mrtg-bounce at list.ee.ethz.ch
12/10/2006 07:30