[mrtg] Re: shorter polling interval

MrPaul mrpaular at gmail.com
Thu Oct 19 17:36:28 MEST 2006

On 10/19/06, eb10005 at gmail.com <eb10005 at gmail.com> wrote:
> The default interval for MRTG is a 5 minute average.  Is it possible
> to shorten this interval?  Ideally, I'd like to poll the router every
> 5 or 10 seconds for bandwidth utilization.  I didn't see this option
> in the docs.  Has anyone done this?  Thanks.

>From the docs at http://oss.oetiker.ch/mrtg/doc/mrtg-reference.en.html

Interval

How often do you call mrtg? The default is 5 minutes. If you call it
less often, you should specify it here. This does two things:

    * The generated HTML page contains the right information about the
calling interval ...
    * A META header in the generated HTML page will instruct caches
about the time-to-live of this page .....

In this example, we tell mrtg that we will be calling it every 10
minutes. If you are calling mrtg every 5 minutes, you can leave this
line commented out.

Example:

Interval: 10

Note that unless you are using rrdtool you can not set Interval to
less than 5 minutes. If you are using rrdtool you can set interval
down to 1 minute. Note though, setting the Interval for an
rrdtool/mrtg setup will influence the initial creation of the
database. If you change the interval later, all existing databases
will remain at the resolution they were initially created with.