[mrtg] Re: shorter polling interval

PAUL WILLIAMSON pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Thu Oct 19 18:45:38 MEST 2006

>>> "eb10005 at gmail.com" <eb10005 at gmail.com> 10/19/06 11:17 AM >>>
> The default interval for MRTG is a 5 minute average.  Is it
> possible to shorten this interval?  Ideally, I'd like to poll the
> router every 5 or 10 seconds for bandwidth utilization.  I didn't
> see this option in the docs.  Has anyone done this?  Thanks.
>
> - Ethan

Sort of, from the docs...

http://oss.oetiker.ch/mrtg/doc/mrtg-reference.en.html

"Note that unless you are using rrdtool you can not set Interval to
less
than 5 minutes. If you are using rrdtool you can set interval down to 1

minute. Note though, setting the Interval for an rrdtool/mrtg setup
will
influence the initial creation of the database. If you change the
interval
later, all existing databases will remain at the resolution they were
initially
created with."

Paul