[mrtg] Re: snmp version

Michael Schwartzkopff misch at multinet.de
Sat Oct 21 20:02:35 MEST 2006

Am Samstag, 21. Oktober 2006 18:54 schrieb Johannes Prost:
> Hello All,
>
> I am new to mrtg and starting out with my first "baby steps".
> As I am still running my webserver with NT4 SP6a I have installed
> SNMP successfully. By starting to create a cfg file with mrtg 2.14.7
> I get a message saying the the command is only supported by
> ...v4only.
>
> As well I can see that the version of snmp on NT4 is v1. My question
> now:
> Is there still any version of mrtg out which can "talk" to SNMPv1 as
> I would like to stick with NT4 on the server ?
>
> Thank you for any suggestions.

SNMP v4 does not exist. According to RFCs the only standard is SNMPv3. Older
verisons like v1 or one of the 2's are still supported. In fact, v1 is beeing
used most.

So your error message comes for some other origin.

In order to get your setup running try to get snmp data from your webserver at
all. Start using the snmpwalk command. If you use net-snmp the command should
look like

snmpwalk -v1 -cpublic <server-ip> .system

If you have an other community string than "public" change the command line
according. If snmpwalk does work try cfgmaker which comes together with mrtg.

Good luck.