[mrtg] Re: Windows SNMP Memory Utilization issues

Craig Humphrey Craig.Humphrey at chapmantripp.com
Wed Sep 13 01:16:06 MEST 2006

[Off topic]
I'm not entirely convinced that SNMP itself is a security problem (It's
the window analogy... If you don't have curtains that you can close,
anyone can look in your window), at least in Win2003 you can limit what
IP's can poll for SNMP info, which can also be reinforced by any host
based FW (or IPSec).

[On Topic]
WMI is probably the "MS Sanctioned" way of getting this kind of info now
and there's plenty of documentation around the API to do so. It works as
happily remotely as it does locally...  And supports traditional MS
authentication...

Anyone want to write a WMI client for MRTG? (That runs on platforms
other than Windows...)
OK, so the Cacti guys have already been down this path...
(http://forums.cacti.net/about11752.html)

Later'ish
Craig