[mrtg] Re: smc 8024L2 - not reporting bandwidth

MrPaul mrpaular at gmail.com
Tue Sep 19 15:44:48 MEST 2006

On 9/18/06, Randy Katz <randyk at ccsales.com> wrote:

>  MrPaul,
>
>  Thank you, however I am slightly lost:
>
>  1. What do you mean to "load the MIB in MRTG"?
>  2. How do I use the "full numeric OID" in this case or know how to get it?
>  3. What is |Length2Int that you put after @mydevice?
>  4. I tried it and it says this:
>
>  >Target[switch1.la1.iohost.com_101]:SNMPv2-SMI::mib-2.16.1.1.1.5.101&SNMPv2-SMI::mib-2.16.1.1.1.9.101:public at switch1.la1.iohost.com

This should be the easiest way to get you what you need.

Target[switch1.la1.iohost.com_101]:1.3.6.1.2.1.16.1.1.1.5.101&1.3.6.1.2.1.16.1.1.1.9.101:public at switch1.la1.iohost.com

I got that numeric OID by doing the following (install Net-SNMP if you
don't have this).

$ snmptranslate -On SNMPv2-SMI::mib-2.16.1.1.1.5.101
SNMPv2-SMI::mib-2.16.1.1.1.9.101
.1.3.6.1.2.1.16.1.1.1.5.101
.1.3.6.1.2.1.16.1.1.1.9.101

On a side note,  I would highly recommend doing 2 things now that the
world has your SNMP info.

Setup an access list of some sort so only specific hosts can access
your device. Change the SNMP communitie(s) to something other than
"public".

Paul