[mrtg] Re: wrong values

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Mon Sep 25 00:09:51 MEST 2006

> I have a very strange problem with graph values. Every value seems
> correct with leased-lines in routers. But fastethernet values are not
> correct with switches, making nearly 99% load for an hour shows 40MB
> load in graph. The shape of the diag is ok, but seems to limited at
> 40MB. Real load is nearly 95-99MB, I've checked it.
> Interval:10, MaxBytes: 12500000

You're hitting the counter limit - since you're polling every 10 mins,
you halve the max traffic you can cope with before hitting the rollover
limit.  This is a well-known limitation, although you're hitting it
sooner due to your larger interval.

Switch to using 64bit counters and it will work again!  Read the MRTG
documentation for this - add  ':::::2' to the end of the Target
definition to force SNMPv2 so you can get 64bit.

Steve

--
Steve Shipway
ITSS, University of Auckland