[mrtg] MRTG draws wrong when the traffic arrive 100 ~110 Mbit...

Simon Leinen simon at limmat.switch.ch
Sun Apr 1 18:11:58 CEST 2007

Forthofer Russ writes:
> Is it possible to make the 64-bit counter separate from SNMPv2?  As
> I discussed in some previous posts, I have some Nortel equipment
> (OM3500) which only accepts SNMPv1, but does populate the 64-bit
> counters.

This is broken, but somehow I'm not surprised.

> I realize this is pretty non-standard, but I did finally get this
> working by specifying the 64-bit OIDs directly in the config.  It
> would be nice to be able to tell MRTG to use the 64-bit counters
> even though SNMPv1 is being used.

Yes, and you found the way to do that (specify the OIDs explicitly,
although they shouldn't work with SNMPv1).  Don't ask for a prettier
workaround in MRTG, ask your vendor to fix the ugliness by
implementing SNMPv2 (and/or SNMPv3 while they're at it :-).
Come on, SNMPv2 has been in RFCs for *eleven* years now.

> OTOH, I recognize that this case is probably one of the few
> instances this would be useful, and so this cannot be very high on
> the priority list.

At least the SNMP code in MRTG has enough warts to work around b0rked
SNMP implementations as it is, I would be reluctant to add more.

Again, my preference would be for vendors to fix their stuff so that
some of the warts eventually be removed from MRTG.  Use your power as
a paying customer, and complain about sub-standard SNMP support, or
take your business to vendors who do a better job.
--
Simon.