[mrtg] statistics during server halted

srtt.be - Michel Lombart subs at srtt.be
Sat Apr 21 20:44:39 CEST 2007

Hello all,

I'm a newbie in mrtg graphics. I've installed MRTG in some Debian
servers and firewalls, right now mainly to monitor ethernet and memory
usage. I monitor also latency in firewalls.

Last day I had to manualy stop ( simply the 'halt' comment in a shh
console ) a customer's server due to a main electrical installation
scheduled maintenance. The server was halted during about one hour.

After the reboot and a full functionnal check, I've looked at the MRTG
statistics. I was surprised to see that values during the interruption
was not null but seems to be the same as the last measure juste before
the halt. Values was constant during the whole period.

It's not a real issue but I wonder to know why and if there is a smart
solution to avoid these false data ?

Because each server hosts his own graph, I do not use SNMP but some
short perl or bash scripts reading in /proc/*** files.

Thank for you help.

--

Michel Lombart
Gérant

srtt.be - Informatique et internet professionnels

tel : + 32 4 264 86 00
fax : + 32 4 248 12 36
mail : michel at srtt.be
web : http://www.srtt.be/