[mrtg] Strategery for cfg file

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Aug 28 02:38:50 CEST 2007

We do this with routers2 as the MRTG frontend (OK so Im biased).

With routers2, you get all the interfaces in the side menu, which helps, paritcularly if your default is the summary or info page.  Have one cfg file per devices, and optionally use a master.cfg to include them all for MRTG's benefit only.

You can enable the 'active' option on the summary pages, to suppress graphs for any interfaces with completely zero traffic, and simplify the summary.

We also define userdefined summary graphs, stacked with total lines in groups of 8 ports, and then place these summary graphs into separate summary pages grouped by slot number.

This minimises the links in the menu and makes it easier to follow.

For multiple devices (we have several hundred) we use the grouping and subgroups in the Devices menu.

See http://www.steveshipway.org/software for routers2 and the demo system if you're interested.

Steve