[mrtg] Strategery for cfg file

Stuart J. Browne sjbrowne at bluebottle.com
Tue Aug 28 01:45:54 CEST 2007

> .... a huge
> ugly page with hundreds and hundreds of ports!  Not what I wanted but
> exactly what I specified.  :-)  Shouldn't it do what I mean
> and not what I
> said?

I think anybody who manages a system of decent size will come up against
this.  I know I certainly have.

> What I want is a page that has one link for each device showing its
> aggregate traffic.  Click on the link, and I see the breakdown of
> each port.  What is the best way to do that?  Separate cfgs?  A
> different set of options on indexmaker?

I use the separate cfg's option, with a small script to re-generate when
needed (adding of new devices etc. etc.), using multiple templates.

I also generate a page per 'service' (using --filter name), and a compact
version of that without headers (using a modification to indexmaker for to
suppress section headers).

All of these get wrapped up on a single page listing each server, along with
each of the filtered pages (both expanded and compact).

Using a single CFG file though gets extremely messy as you've found.  My
main CFG file is just a list of includes.

Stuart