[mrtg] Collecting non-rate data and RRD

Tuc at T-B-O-H.NET ml at t-b-o-h.net
Tue Dec 18 15:50:22 CET 2007

Hi,

	I'm trying to use MRTG as the data collection backend to a graphing
front-end we developed in house. It does a great job collecting network
traffic. We also have it collecting some other things via external programs.

	Some of the items don't need to be "exact" in their graphing. It
isn't a big deal if they are slightly off.  But there are others, where
the difference between 1.1 and 1.2 is as great to me as the difference
between 1 and 1,000,000. From what I'm starting to under from
Alex van den Bogaerdt , his http://www.vandenbogaerdt.nl/rrdtool/ page,
and a recent post on the RRD list by someone else, its because of the
normalization and consolidation. To "no-op" it would mean that the
timestamp would have to be an exact multiple of the step size. I
believe what is happening is that MRTG is being called every 5 minutes,
but sometimes it puts the data in at X, sometimes X-3, sometimes X+7, etc.

	Is there some way or some option that would be able to
selectively fix the timestamps that it uses to put the data into the
RRD file for the ones where I need to do that? Since I really only use
MRTG to put the value into the RRD, and really nothing else, should I
just write my own program to load the RRDs?

		Thanks, Tuc