[mrtg] mrtg-rdd question

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Dec 26 21:32:51 CET 2007

I believe you are using the check_mrtg and check_mrtgtraf plugins for Nagios to check the threshold of the MRTG .log files within Nagios.  Here, we also use Nagios and MRTG at the same time.

If you move to using RRDTool then of course you no longer have the .log files so this will not work.  However, you can use the check_rrdtraf plugin instead.

Find the check_rrdtraf plugin on NagiosExchange:

http://www.nagiosexchange.org/Check_Plugins.21.0.html?&tx_netnagext_pi1[p_view]=837 <http://www.nagiosexchange.org/Check_Plugins.21.0.html?&tx_netnagext_pi1%5bp_view%5d=837>

This should allow you to move to the RRDTool format for all of your MRTG, improving performance.

If you also start to use routers2 as a frontend to MRTG/RRD, then you might light to see the tonagios.cgi plugin for routers2 which allows Nagios output to be embedded into the routers2 frontend for MRTG, and also you can link to the routers2 graph URLs from the Nagios hostextinfo definitions.  There are threads discussing this on http://www.steveshipway.org/forum

Steve

From: mrtg-bounces at lists.oetiker.ch [mailto:mrtg-bounces at lists.oetiker.ch] On Behalf Of Pili Muñoz Gargallo

May be i will ask a nonsense but i have a question about if it is possible the use of  MRTG  + RRD  being able to preserve the log format of MRTG...
I use the logformat of MRTG to use a funtion in Nagios that allowme to monitor bandwith, but i didn't find out how Nagios  could draw the evolution of the measurements... I was told about routers2.cgi that could solve the problem, but if it switches the files .log  to files.rrd i am not able to still monitoring to generate alarms...