[mrtg] Is there any way for this??

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Feb 8 22:18:20 CET 2007

> if i need to see the graph for the traffic that flew through the
interface
> about three months ago is there any way to tackle it out. I know that
it
> shows the monthly graph too but thats not in a readable  format and i
need
> to see the traffic of a particular month than can i see it,

You presumably are interested in the detailed (daily) graph for a date 3
months in the past?

This data is normally expired by RRD after a week or two, so you need
some way to preserve it and some way to display it.  To preserve it, you
can either modify the .rrd file to have a much, much longer  retention
period, or you can make a daily archive of the .rrd files.  Both cases
will require a substantial amount more disk space, as you are storing
about 12 times as much data.

To display it, you will need to either write your own display utility,
or use one which can cope with archived or extended rrd files.

(biased advice coming)
You can do this using routers2 as your frontend for MRTG/RRD.  If you
enable 'RRD archiving' (this requires a nightly job to archive the .rrd
files and expire old archives) then you will get an additional date
dropdown in the frontend so that you can display graphs for archived
data.  Instructions are in the doc/HOWTO file distributed with routers2.
We use this here to archive daily (5min resolution) for three months,
and monthly (2h resolution) for three years.

Steve

--
Steve Shipway
ITSS, University of Auckland