[mrtg] Need to graph protocol numbers.

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Feb 15 22:05:32 CET 2007

> I have been tasked with finding a way to graph in MRTG in and out
bytes for
> different IP protocols. Right now I am testing with a Nortel Contivity
1600
> The only problem at this point is finding what oid holds the
> byte count for each protocol.

Not this old one again....

First, are you certain that your Nortel1600 actually supports this?  The
functionality you are talking about is usually called something like an
'RMAN probe' as it is analysing the content of the data packets as they
go through.

If you have a device which can provide these numbers, MRTG can graph
them.  However, almost all switches/routers cannot provide this
information.  MRTG is not a data analyser, it is a graphing tool.

If you're really up on coding, you might be able to install a Linux box
with tcpdump on a spanning port on the switch and process the output
into a form compatible with sending to MRTG (basically, build your own
RMAN probe) but its not a simple procedure and not one I can explain to
you.

To summarise - in almost all cases, this is not possible, because your
switch does not provide the necessary counts.   If you want to do this,
get a data analyser, such as an RMAN probe, and configure MRTG to get
the counts from this.

Steve

--
Steve Shipway