[mrtg] Disconnected interfaces not showing any graphs

Ed LaFrance Ed.LaFrance at newmediaems.com
Fri Jan 26 17:16:47 CET 2007

Hello -

If you look in the .cfg file for your device, you will see that the
entries for the ports that are not connected are commented out
(preceded with a '#')- this is the default behavior of cfgmaker,
though you may be able to override it with some command-line option.
If you re-run cfgmaker, any ports that have been connected since the
last run will cause these entries to un-comment, then mrtg will start
graphing them. You can also just edit the .cfg file manually and
remove the commenting if you want.

Ed

At 07:41 AM 1/26/2007, Cadek, Martin wrote:

>I must be missing something simple, but lets say I have a cisco
>switch - 24 ports, of which only 12 are connected and in use , well
>my MRTG cfg file shows a setup for every interface 0/1 - 0/25 , but
>then while it's running as a deamon it only generates 12 HTML pages
>skipping over the "Disconnected" interfaces
>
>this would be fine IF when I connect a new device to a port it would
>start generating that page, it doesn't , so if I add 6 pc's I still
>get 12 HTML pages
>
>plus my switch overview page that shows the 24 .png images ends up
>with 12 broken links
>
>is there anything I can do to force a "Blank graph" , obviously if
>it's disconnected it should show nothing, but I'd like to see the "nothing" :)
>
>Thank you in advance
>ZrOuT

:::::::::::::     PREMIUM COLOCATION SERVICES     :::::::::::::
New Media LLC                    info at servercolocation.ws
11630 Fair Oaks Blvd., #300      http://www.servercolocation.ws
Fair Oaks, CA  95628             (916) 961-0446
(866) 519-4680 Toll-Free         (916) 961-0447 Fax