[mrtg] MRTG (Daemon Mode) Crashing

Israel Brewster israel at frontierflying.com
Tue Jul 3 18:07:27 CEST 2007

On Jul 2, 2007, at 3:31 PM, Henrik Jacobsson wrote:

> You have two(or more) mrtg daemons running. Check your running
> processes.
>
> I had this problem when I was adjusting my mrtg config, each time I
> had
> to restart the daemon. And each time you run mrtg without just
> restarting it, it will generate duplicate daemons which will screw
> your
> logfiles as well.
>
> I fixed all my problems with just adding this to my crontab and my
> config saying "RunAsDaemon: No" (or whatever it is in the config):
> */5   *  * * *  root    mrtg /home/henke/mrtg/mrtg.conf
>
> This will make mrtg run every five minutes. And I can change the
> config
> all the time without the need of restarting the daemon (as far as I
> know). And I dont see why you should run it as a daemon actually...

Thanks for the suggestion. However, when this problem occurs I only
have a single copy running-actually, I have never had more than one,
as I always make sure to kill off the old process before starting a
new one. What appears to happen is that MRTG itself attempts to
restart to fix the error (as the log states) but it has never cleaned
up the PID file from the existing process, therefore the restart
fails and MRTG exits leaving me with no MRTG processes. That isn't
the problem so much though (although I would think that MRTG should
be better about cleaning up the PID file in order to avoid that
crash), as is what caused that behavior in the first place, namely
the List::Util object version 1.18 does not match  bootstrap
parameter 1.19 at /usr/libdata/perl5/i386-openbsd/5.8.8/ XSLoader.pm
line 94 error. it would seem to me that is the error that needs to be
fixed, even if I can potentially work around it by not running in
daemon mode.

As for why to run in daemon mode, from the documentation: "The
purpose of daemon mode is that MRTG is launched once and not
repeatedly (as it is with cron). This behavior saves computing
resourses as loading and parsing of configuration files happens only
once." As I am running on a VERY minimal system that is also trying
to run other things, this is of some importance to me. And, frankly,
while I don't take any offense at it, if a documented feature of a
program is not operating as it should, I will never take "well, don't
use that feature" as an acceptable solution :)

Israel Brewster
Computer Support Technician
Frontier Flying Service Inc.
5245 Airport Industrial Rd