[mrtg] MRTG (Daemon Mode) Crashing

Henrik Jacobsson henke.jacobsson at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 01:31:37 CEST 2007

You have two(or more) mrtg daemons running. Check your running processes.

I had this problem when I was adjusting my mrtg config, each time I had
to restart the daemon. And each time you run mrtg without just
restarting it, it will generate duplicate daemons which will screw your
logfiles as well.

I fixed all my problems with just adding this to my crontab and my
config saying "RunAsDaemon: No" (or whatever it is in the config):
*/5   *  * * *  root    mrtg /home/henke/mrtg/mrtg.conf

This will make mrtg run every five minutes. And I can change the config
all the time without the need of restarting the daemon (as far as I
know). And I dont see why you should run it as a daemon actually...

Hope this helps you.