[mrtg] monitoring services on remote snmp enabled windows server

DA Forsyth iwrtech at iwr.ru.ac.za
Thu Jul 12 10:01:52 CEST 2007

On 11 Jul 2007 , MrPaul entreated about
 "Re: [mrtg] monitoring services on remote snmp ena":

> On 7/11/07, Harry John <irvine.harris at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > im just wondering if i could expand my mrtg capabilities to monitor
> > services like disk usage, memory , temperature etc..
>
> MRTG can monitor any counter you can send to it.  You can send it
> counters by SNMP (most common) or by running a script (perl, batch,
> python, tcl, bash, vb....whatever you feel like wriing).
>
> In short.  Yes.

yeah, I have a perl script that queries a remote server for the
outside temperature, queries the local machine for the CPU and m/b
temperatures, does some logic, and turns on or off 2 fans attached to
the parallel port using solid state relays.  one is a desk fan to
cool ME, the other an extractor in the window to cool the room.

I also use various bash and AWK scripts to grab disk quota usage per
user, and printer log statistics, and ntpd time offset and probably
other esoteric things I can't recall right now.

MRTG can do *anything*  (-:

--
       DA Fo rsyth            Network Supervisor
Principal Technical Officer -- Institute for Water Research