[mrtg] Graphing "L2TP Tunnel and Session Information" Cisco

Daniel J McDonald dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com
Tue Jun 19 15:51:40 CEST 2007

On Tue, 2007-06-19 at 09:22 +1000, Ross Tsolakidis wrote:
> Hi peoples,
>
> I have a Cisco 7206vxr and I'd like to graph the total sessions and
> tunnels.
> Eg, show vpdn; produces the tunnels and sessions totals.
>
> Has anyone done this ? Does anyone have an example config ?
> Or can anyone point me in the right direction ?

I think it is similar to my problem of trying to graph the number of
active VOIP calls.

Cisco doesn't provide a single mib entry that you can just poll the
number and be done.  They often provide a table, and you need to count
the number of entries in the table, or perhaps the number of entries in
a table with a a particular value.  MRTG does not currently have a
native method for performing this task.

So, you need to write a short perl script that will do the polling and
return the values that are desired.  This is somewhat inefficient, as it
loads a separate instance of perl into ram (and ram is already precious
when you have several thousand targets).

I notice that in 2.15 there is a WaLK psuedo-OID that enables MRTG to
work around really silly things like a box that won't respond to an snmp
get, but will work fine with an snmpwalk.  I just deployed that
particular solution, and it works very well for certain silly boxes.
And I think I want to write a similar extension to count walk-entries
(or, optionally, count walk-entries with a particular value).  But that
will probably take me a couple of weeks, particularly since it involves
twiddling with the Target Parsing regex.