[mrtg] Non-stop SNMP requests (was MRTG not updating RRD files)

Dean, Mike mdean at landstar.com
Thu Mar 8 15:33:22 CET 2007

Some additional information.  I've gone through the capture file and
this is what is happening:

At 07:50:49.615, MRTG starts its run with standard SNMP getRequests for
CPU and memory.  After that, it starts a series of get-next-requests:

1) get-next-requests/responses for the ifName tree.  A total of 332
request/response pairs
2) get-next-requests/responses for the ifDesc tree.  A total of 332
request/response pairs
3) get-next-requests/responses for the ifType tree.  A total of 332
request/response pairs
4) get-next-requests/responses for the ifAdentIfIndex tree.  A total of
41 request/response pairs
5) get-next-requests/responses for the ifPhysAddress tree.  A total of
332 request/response pairs
6) get-next-requests/responses for ifName, ifInOctets, ifName,
ifOutOctets.  For each interface, this request is made as a single
request.  A total of 283 request/response pairs are made for this set.

The last request/response pair for item 6 ends at 07:52:10.850.  At
07:52:10:857, the process is started over from the top.  From what I can
tell, this loop simply continues without end.  It never seems to be
"finished".

Any ideas?

Mike