[mrtg] monitoring devices without snmp

Stuart Kendrick skendric at fhcrc.org
Tue Mar 13 14:27:19 CET 2007

hi ikechukwu,

if your device ... your 'ip encap' ... reports traffic through some
other method, then you can write your own data gathering script to feed
values to MRTG

here, for example, i'm querying a database for a parameter (the total
number of critical vulnerabilities that nessus has reported for a
particular population of hosts)

Target[vulnCountOne]: `/home/netops/bin/count-vuln anyVuln 0`
MaxBytes[vulnCountOne]: 100000
Title[vulnCountOne]: Hosts w/One or More Vulnerabilities
PageTop[vulnCountOne]: <H1>Vulnerable Hosts</H1>
vulnerabili
ties against the total number of hosts defined in Soma</i></p>
YLegend[vulnCountOne]: # of Hosts
Options[vulnCountOne]: gauge,nopercent,integer
[...]

the script 'count-vuln' performs a SQL call, gathers information, does a
calculation ... and at the end, delivers to STDOUT:

#!/usr/bin/perl
use strict;
use warnings;
use Perl6::Say;
[...]
   say $hostCount;
   say $vulnCountOne;
   say localtime();
   say $name;

the script must return four numbers:  the first two are the values you
want MRTG to graph, the third is the uptime for the device (doesn't make
sense in my context, so i just hand MRTG localtime), and the fourth is a
string identifying the name of the target.  see "External Monitoring
Scripts" at http://oss.oetiker.ch/mrtg/doc/mrtg-reference.en.html

so, if you can ssh to your 'ip encap' device and gather the data that
way ... or telnet ... or dig through a log file ... then you can write
one of these external monitoring script thingies to hand MRTG the
necessary data

hth,

--sk

stuart kendrick