[mrtg] Time drift in entries in log file.

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Mar 15 23:28:56 CET 2007

> I have setup MRTG on a system at work.  In the log file generated and
> subsequently updated by MRTG, I am seeing a time drift of anywhere
from 2,
> 3 to 4 seconds in lines 2 to 4, despite MRTG being set to poll every
five

I don't think this is a cause for concern.  Polling will often take
varying times as it depends on server and network loading.  However,
MRTG compensates for this by adjusting its internal rates based on the
data logging times, so if the poll happens a few seconds late, then the
rate of change will be very slightly adjusted to reflect this.  If you
use gauge, though, I think the numbers may be logged as-is to the data
time window.

Steve