[mrtg] 64-bit counters with SNMPv1?

Stuart Kendrick skendric at fhcrc.org
Thu Mar 22 16:36:39 CET 2007

hi forthofer,

i don't have an answer for you, this is just a ramble:

i find this puzzling.  i thought that one of the few differences between
SNMPv1 and SNMPv2c was support for 64-bit counters.  and yet, you seem
to be retrieving the value of a 64 bit counter, using an SNMPv1 GET

what are you getting, when you issue your v1 request for this 64bit
counter?  just 32 bits of the full 64 bits?  curiousity ...

i would be surprised if this box supported only v1

that being said, i've run into a manufacturer (NetApp) which supports
only v1 ... however, they provide access to 64 bit counters by providing
two variables for each counter, e.g. miscHighNetRcvdBytes and
miscLowNetRcvdBytes ... where the High counter contains the top 32 bits
and the Low counter contains the bottom 32 bits.  i retrieve both and
perform a string concatenation, all done in MRTG's Target line.  if
Nortel does only support v1, perhaps they also support some scheme like
this, in order to deliver access to 64 bit counters.  this would be
visible in one of their enterprise MIBs

--sk