[mrtg] 64-bit counters with SNMPv1?

Tue Mar 27 16:44:56 CEST 2007

On 3/26/07, Forthofer Russ <Russ.Forthofer at ssfhs.org> wrote:

> I ran some additional tests, and it appears to me the 64-bit data may be
> bogus.  It would report 4K utilization on a link that should be about
> 50M or better.
>
> I did find out from Nortel that the OM3500 does NOT support SNMPv2 -
> only SNMPv1.  (I was hoping I just had to flip a switch somewhere.)
> So, it appears that my only option is to increase my polling frequency.
>
> I have not checked the enterprise MIB, as you suggested, but I will do
> that now.  Not really holding too much hope for that, though.
>
> Thanks for your help.
> Russ

Russ,

How fast are your interfaces? With 32-bit counters you should be able to
successfully graph bit over 100 mbps with 5-minute polling. Yet you
mentioned 50M - is that megabytes or megabits? If megabits then the 5-minute
polling cycle should work just fine. If megabytes then you'll need to go to
a 1-minute polling interval which is good to about 550 megabits/second if I
recall correctly.

Regards,
--
Eric Brander