[mrtg] Removing some spikes from older graphs

Matthew Petach mpetach at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 28 21:54:07 CEST 2007

I wrote a script about 10 years ago that will trim out spikes above any
arbitrary level you want from MRTG log files--you can find a copy of
it in the internet archive at:
http://web.archive.org/web/20020806022906/buckaroo.xo.com/MRTG/fix_bad_mrtg_logs.pl

You simply call it as

"fix_bad_mrtg_logs.pl 250kb filename.log filename.NEW"
it'll trim out anything over the value you specify, and create a new log
file; once it's done, back up your old log file:
cp filename.log filename.SAV
cp filename.NEW filename.log

Then you can delete the images associated with the logfile, and
the next time MRTG runs, it'll re-create new images based on the
trimmed logfile without the spikes in them.

Matt