[mrtg] Wow--This is Difficult to Setup!

Bjorgen T. Eatinger beatinger at edenhosting.net
Thu Mar 29 05:19:25 CEST 2007

I have completely installed and managed to get running most of the MRTG
code, running on MS Advanced Server 2003, IIS v6.0, including using the
SRVANY.EXE so that the MRTG script will run as a service.

I have 2 problems, as follows:

1. Using the cfgmaker script, I cannot get more than just a router added
to the MRTG.CFG file.  We have a Cisco 1720 router, a Cisco PIX 506e
(which we probably don't need to monitor), and six 3COM 24-port
switches.  Of most interest are the six 3COM switches.  How do we get
all of these devices in the configuration file?

2. Even with the one device (the Cisco router) correctly configured in
the MRTG.CFG file, we cannot get the updates to work reliably.  I don't
see much activity happening.  I finally stopped the MRTG service for a
few hours, then started it again, and then saw activity, but then left
the service running again for several hours, and no additional activity
occurred.  How do we tell the service to run the mrtg script from time
to time?

The statistics were last updated Wednesday, 28 March 2007 at 19:50,
at which time 'TheEdenGroup.tierzero.net' had been up for 2 days,
10:44:15.

You can hit the graphs at the following URL:

http://mrtg.edenhosting.net/208.179.153.225_fastethernet0.html

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Sincerely, Bjorgen T. Eatinger
www.edenhosting.net