[mrtg] Monitor TenGiga ports

Amos Shapira amos.shapira at gmail.com
Mon May 14 05:40:44 CEST 2007

On 14/05/07, Mizrahi, Gil <gil.mizrahi at intel.com> wrote:

>  Hi,
>
> 64 bit counters were created to collect high capacity traffic (Giga and
> above). The "regular" counters are 32 bit.
>
> MRTG needs a special sign that tells to work with the 64 bit counters.
> This sign is ':::::', e.g. public at 1.1.1.1:::::2.
>
> As I said before it has significance when collecting Giga port and above
> (TenGiga …).
>
> As I know it doesn't have anything with the SNMP version.

It has everything to do with SNMP version. Please read the documentation. In
"mrtg-reference", under "Extended Host Name Syntax" there is explanation for
the fields which are delimited by these ":". It's just that most of the time
people don't care to change the default timeout or number of retries, but
that pesky "2" at the end actually tells MRTG to use SNMP v2 (as opposed to
the default of v1), and you have to skip all the other fields in front of
it.
It's simply that v2 introduced support for 64-bit counters. What you call
"regular" counters (actually 32 bit counters) are simply the only ones
supported by the default SNMP version used by MRTG - v1.

Ref:
http://oss.oetiker.ch/mrtg/doc/mrtg-reference.en.html#item_extended_host_name_syntax

--Amos