[mrtg] Problems setting/saving threshold

Koelstra, J. (Jan) JKoelstra at MINSZW.NL
Thu May 31 11:08:00 CEST 2007

Jack,

If you run mrtg in Daemon mode you have to restart MRTG to get any change in the config files activated.

There is the possibilty your change is not the right one, but without your config file and the explanation what you changed it is difficult to tell what is wrong.

When you know what the change should be you can modify the template file(s) you use with cfgmaker.

HTH,

Jan.

-----Original Message-----
From: mrtg-bounces at lists.oetiker.ch [mailto:mrtg-bounces at lists.oetiker.ch] On Behalf Of jack at loserville.org
Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2007 8:40 PM
To: mrtg at lists.oetiker.ch
Subject: [mrtg] Problems setting/saving threshold

Sorry in advance if this is a bonehead question. Either I haven't found the answer or I looked right at it and didn't understand it.

We have an installation that monitors 100 servers or so. There is one machine that consistently gets twice as much traffic on the ethernet interfaces as the threshold that is set in the .cfg file for that machine.

There are two issues. I've changed the threshold for those interfaces in the file machinename.cfg, but that doesn't seem to have any effect. The threshold used by MRTG doesn't change. Am I setting it in the wrong place? Second, the changes that I make to that file are eventually overwritten when cfgmaker runs. What am I missing? How do I make this change and prevent it from being overwritten by cfgmaker?

Thanks.

Dit bericht kan informatie bevatten die niet voor u is bestemd. Indien u niet de geadresseerde bent of dit bericht abusievelijk aan u is toegezonden, wordt u verzocht dat aan de afzender te melden en het bericht te verwijderen. De staat aanvaardt geen aansprakelijkheid voor schade, van welke aard ook, die verband houdt met risico's verbonden aan het elektronisch verzenden van berichten.

This message may contain information that is not intended for you. If you are not the addressee or if this message was sent to you by mistake, you are requested to inform the sender and delete the message. The state accepts no liability for damage of any kind resulting from the risks inherent in the electronic transmission of messages.