[mrtg] Chunky rrdtool graph

Max (MRTG list) Max.mrtg at DELTAL.ORG
Thu May 31 17:45:00 CEST 2007

Hi all,

trying to make my mrtg graphs have the same scale while they are using a
log Y axis it was recommended that I try rrdtool.

I'm not sure if this list also covers them, or if I have to subscribe to
another list, but I am having a (as far as I can tell weird) problem
with my graph.

If I make the graph the default size (-w 400) I get a rather nice
resolution graph, and i'm happy with its look, but...

I want to have a longer graph, I want to have (-w 1200 -s -72h) rather
than the default of (-w 400 -s -24h).

Now the weird part, the scale looks correct for the expanded size, but
the graph is a lot more chunky looking :(

Confusing the heck out of me.

if I do 24 hrs (-w 400 -s 24h) I have my base graph...
if I do 48 hrs (-w 800 -s 48h) I have a longer graph looking ok
but...
if I do 72 hrs (-w 1200 -s 72h) The scale looks the same, but the data
lines look a lot more chuncky.

It is the same data, the only part changed is the -w (width) and -s
(start) options.

I have listed my command line below...

(sorry for listing all three even though there is only the graph name
and the last line changed. I didn't want to make you thik I had changed
other variables somewhere...

rrdtool graph /var/www/rrdtool/24h.png  \
   DEF:inoctets=/var/www/rrdtool/XH9949.rrd:input:AVERAGE        \
   DEF:outoctets=/var/www/rrdtool/XH9949.rrd:output:AVERAGE      \
   VDEF:MaxIn=inoctets,MAXIMUM                                   \
   VDEF:AvgIn=inoctets,AVERAGE                                   \
   VDEF:CurrentIn=inoctets,LAST                                  \
   VDEF:MaxOut=outoctets,MAXIMUM                                 \
   VDEF:AvgOut=outoctets,AVERAGE                                 \
   VDEF:CurrentOut=outoctets,LAST                                \
   COMMENT:"\t\tMax\t\t\t   Average\t\t\tCurrent\n" \
   AREA:inoctets#00FF00:"In"                                     \
   GPRINT:MaxIn:"%8.2lf %sbps"                                   \
   GPRINT:AvgIn:"\t%8.2lf %sbps"                                 \
   GPRINT:CurrentIn:"\t%8.2lf %sbps\n"                           \
   LINE1:outoctets#0000FF:"Out"                                  \
   GPRINT:MaxOut:"%7.2lf %sbps"                                  \
   GPRINT:AvgOut:"\t%8.2lf %sbps"                                \
   GPRINT:CurrentOut:"\t%8.2lf %sbps\n"                          \
   --title "Traffic for adsl modem"                              \
   -l $MinBytes -u $MaxBytes  -r --units=si --logarithmic        \
   -s -24h -w 400

rrdtool graph /var/www/rrdtool/48h.png  \
[...]
   -s -48h -w 800

rrdtool graph /var/www/rrdtool/72h.png  \
[...]
   -s -72h -w 1200

I can't work out why the last graph looks chunky.

Not sure if you can post .png files to the list, so assuming you can't,
I have posted the three graphs at
http://www.corporateturtles.com/rrdtool/

this is a static page I made for this email, those graphs are not being
updated.

The ONLY possible idea i have is that the last graph is complaining as
it is going further than the data available (just recently started
logging with rrdtool), but i'm not sure why that would affect the
plotting of the parts where the data exists.

Any ideas?

Max
Dunedin
New Zealand.