[mrtg] Chunky rrdtool graph

Tobias Oetiker tobi at oetiker.ch
Thu May 31 20:53:16 CEST 2007

Hi Max,

> Confusing the heck out of me.
>
> if I do 24 hrs (-w 400 -s 24h) I have my base graph...
> if I do 48 hrs (-w 800 -s 48h) I have a longer graph looking ok
> but...
> if I do 72 hrs (-w 1200 -s 72h) The scale looks the same, but the data
> lines look a lot more chuncky.

what happens is that rrdtool picks the RRA which best covers the
area of the graph, my guess is that your 'hires' RRA is too short
for the long graph you ask rrdtool to draw. it therefore switches
to the lower res rrd which covers the whole area you are asking
rrdtool to graph ...

a 'more' intelligent version of fetch could fill only the missing
values from the higher res rra if any ones care to contribute to
1.3 :-)

cheers
tobi

http://it.oetiker.ch tobi at oetiker.ch ++41 62 213 9902