[mrtg] MRTG reporting incorrect results

Patrick Kremer patrick at nicsys.net
Fri Nov 2 20:07:11 CET 2007

This apparently started happening 2 weeks ago. All MRTG-monitored interfaces on one particular switch are showing identical graphs for all "Out" bandwidth. As expected, the report shows varying values for "In" Max/Average/Current for each port on the switch. However, each port has the exact same values for all "Out" Max/Average/Current. The blue line is exactly the same for all ports on all graphs beginning between at about week 41 1/2.  Obviously, this isn't possible

It doesn't appear to be something specifically wrong with MRTG itself because the rest of the monitored switches seem to be reporting correctly. The MRTG config for the switch in question hasn't changed in 3 months. I have already tried rebooting the switch and the machine hosting MRTG. Because I couldn't think of anything else to do, I tried regenerating the configuration file with an snmpwalk, but it's no different from the original config file.

I don't know what else to do except assume that I somehow have a bad switch?? Has anybody come across anything like this before?